Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's a Good Day!

Day 15: Yummy Lunches...

...on the company dollar. At work, we did a competition in August regarding most outreach. Out of the three teams, my team won. And the prize? Anywhere we wanted to eat for lunch. We chose Ocean Prime in Larimer Square - it was delicious and free. Not to mention, I loved getting to spend 3 hours of quality time with 5 of my co-workers! It's a happy Thursday :) 

Day 14: Commutes

So maybe you’re wondering if I’m beginning to get desperate for things to be thankful for…
But I’m not! J
In Colorado Springs, I lived around the corner from my school. While this was spectacular for sleepy mornings and gas budgets, I am grateful for my new 25 minute commute. I find that singing at the top of my lungs for an extra 50 minutes each day is a real spirit-lifter! Usually I just put on shuffle and skip around until I find something that I feel like singing along with, but here are a few of my favorites (in case you’ve been meaning to get weird looks from your car-neighbors, too…)

  • The Format – Oceans
  • Lee DeWyze – Sweet Serendipity
  • Sawyer Brown – Some Girls Do
  • Casey Abrams – Get Out
  • Carly Rae Jepson – Guitar String/Wedding Ring
  • Joshua Radin – Vegetable Car
  • Eric Church – Carolina
  • Ellie Goulding – Anything Can Happen
  • Go West – King of Wishful Thinking
  • One Republic – Can’t Stop
  • Sara Bareilles – Little Black Dress
  • Third Eye Blind – Semi-Charmed Life

A random few, but singing to them at the top of your lungs WILL make your day brighter. Promise.

Day 13: Autumn!


Changing leaves and crisp, cool air. Football, chili, and snuggies. Pumpkin spice lattes and apple farms. And cardigans, scarves, boots. 

Day 12: Errand-Running Buddies

Nathan went to Victoria’s Secret with me today. He said it was his nightmare. I’m thankful he went. I’m also thankful he played Adele in the car.

Day 11: Football Games

Few things make me more excited than to watch college football (I-O-W-A!) on Saturdays! Grateful for this season and the games that it brings.

Day 10: FRIDAY!

Friday is a great day and I don't think I'm the only one who feels thankful for it :)

Day 9: Coffee & Duke Hugs

I'm always thankful for coffee. I'm not normally thankful for Duke. I normally don't love my roommate's dog. I mean, he's okay. He just smells really bad sometimes, and isn't a good running dog. But this morning he was really snuggly, and that was nice, because sometimes mornings are hard. So, this morning I'm thankful for coffee and (yes, I said it) Duke.


Day 8: Pearl Street Fitness

I love to run. I think it’s therapeutic and a great place to meet with my Savior or just collect my thoughts. However, some days I am already thinking too much. Some days I would rather not have the quiet, and would rather just follow someone else’s directions for burning energy. Today was one of those days. More and more, I am thankful for Pearl Street Fitness, where the trainers are renowned for not giving you any time to think about anything, except how NOT to throw up. Kudos, guys, thankful for you (most of the time.)

Day 7: Riever's Trivia Night

Unless the topic is Harry Potter, my team is not very good at trivia. Either way, it’s a good Tuesday night ritual, complete with beer specials. What’s not to be thankful for?!

Day 6: SUNSHINE!

Here in Colorado, we’ve recently been experiencing what they call a “500 year flood.” For a state that typically averages 300 days of sunshine, it has rained continuously for the past week. Today, I am especially thankful that the warmth of the sunshine is peeking out! 

Day 5: Friends, Near and Far

Yesterday, we watched the Iowa/Iowa State game at the local "Iowa State bar", and I met a girl who had just graduated from ISU and moved out here for graduate school. She didn't know anyone besides a few distant acquaintances in the Denver area, and was hoping to meet people. It reminded me so much of when I first moved out here, and I didn't know anyone. It was terrifying, and required a whole lot of moving outside of my comfort zone.

It's an easy thing to take for granted, but I am so grateful for my friends, both near and far. Friends are what made Colorado Springs feel like home; friends are making Denver feel like home. Today I was blessed to spend an extended lunch with Hannah Martin, an amazing friend with spectacular insight. She is about ready to have her first babe, and I can't wait to witness the parents that her and Mike will be. 


I am also grateful for the technology that makes it possible to maintain these relationships. Without airplanes, cell phones, text messaging, Facebook, Instagram, and countless other avenues, the distance would feel a whole lot bigger. I know there are downfalls to technology, too. For instance, it could be embarrassing when someone near you hears the click of your camera while you’re taking a Snapchat selfie and asks what you’re taking a picture of, and you have to be honest and sheepishly say “…myself.” (not that I would know; this happened to a friend of a friend…).  All in all, I am still happy that technology is a thing, and oh-so-thankful for good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment