Saturday, September 14, 2013

More to be Thankful for...

Day 4: Roommates

Speaking of new beginnings, two of the people that have been the most supportive during the turmoil that has currently been my life are my roommates, Andrew and Nathan. They were the ones who convinced me that I could move to Denver and I could find a new job and it was going to be okay. And it was a rough summer of playing the "waiting" game hoping that all the pieces would really fall into place (just ask them.)  Even so, they were just about the only two people who didn't express doubt about it working out, and kept me hopeful when I really didn't feel hopeful at all. Nathan finally admitted last weekend that he had started to feel a little nervous for me, but thank goodness he never said as much. Now that the pieces really have fallen into place (for the most part), I can't express how grateful I am for their support. If it were up to me alone, I probably would've given up long ago. 

Day 3: New Beginnings

Today I am thankful for new beginnings. Although new beginnings often require the scary dreaded transition, in the end, new beginnings are always reason for hope. Let's go back a little. After spending the past three years teaching, making friends and building a life in Colorado Springs, I decided this summer to make the move to Denver, find a new job, and build a new life. 

Several factors played a role in this decision, but not least of all: the notorious b.r.e.a.k.u.p. This breakup was different than most for several reasons, but mostly for the reason that neither of us actually wanted it. We knew we eventually wanted the things that most serious couples strive for...the marriage, the babies, the creation of our "own" life..but he had things in his past that made this a lot harder for us to have than it is for most (enter in my bitterness because "it's just not fair.")  We tried just about everything we could think of to make it work, but in the end, his past, as well as my hopes for the future, won out. And I know that that's probably for the best--for him and for me. I'm beginning to accept it (albeit very slowly because I'm stubborn). 

Looking at things from where they were a few months ago, so much has changed, and God has had a hand in all of it. I have a new job, a new house, new roommates, am making new friends and getting the opportunity to connect with old ones. And as much as I sometimes miss the old, I am so very grateful for the chance for a new beginning. 

Day 2: Family

I love Colorado, but I miss my family. All the time. It's gotten a little harder in the past year now that all of my sisters and my parents are all in the same town--I definitely get FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) pretty frequently. But you know what? I'm very grateful that I have such a cool family to miss. A few weeks ago, I went home for a much-too-short weekend, and got to take a few pictures of my youngest sissy, Molly. Molly's a senior in high school this year, and is the kind of person you want to know. She is driven, funny, and caring (even if she tries to act like she doesn't sometimes.) I'll post more of her pictures later, but here's one for now!

I am so very grateful to have three AMAZING sisters and two AMAZING parents. (and the best dog ever..duh).



No comments:

Post a Comment