Monday, October 14, 2013

So Many Things!

 Day 23: Snow..?!

I'm not ready for snow yet, but this early Colorado dusting combined with the Chili Cook-Off at work makes for an awfully comfy-cozy day. Now...if I could just find a way to snuggle up with a good book....

By the way, I am determined to not pull a "Kevin" today. 

Day 22: Catch Up Sessions

loved, loved, loved getting to catch up with Erin and Kylia over dinner and glass of wine (or two). Catching up with friends makes my heart so happy.

Day 21: Role Models

The first concert I ever went to was Lorrie Morgan. I was little, my parents took me, and I got to give her a rose. As a child, I remember running around the house ("dancing") to her music. I also remember thinking the line "love is not a gadget" was referring to Inspector Gadget, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, her music embodies what it is to be a self-confident, strong woman. I'm not always sure the same thing could be said about a lot of popular culture today, and I'm grateful that I was brought up with those undertones instead of other ones.

More importantly, I am so thankful that I had positive female role models in my every day life. My mom is the epitome of an intelligent, driven, and confident woman. Among other things, she used to tell me never to call a boy; always let them call you. Boom. Good advice, Momma Sue. 

My old daycare provider, Denise, was another of these women. She helped me to love reading. She didn't let us play with Barbies because she believed they created negative self-images. She made us play outside. And television was not an option. 

Thinking about the energy and effort it takes to be a good role model makes me so grateful to have these women in my life!

Day 20: Libraries and Apple Cider

I know libraries have been around for-ev-er, but what an ingenious idea. Seriously. Today I found the public library nearest to our new house, and had a hay-day. Snuggling up with my new book and a hot cup of apple cider was certainly something to be grateful for! 

Day 19: Planners

I'm grateful for planners, and color-coding (Can I get an "amen" from all my Type-A friends?!)

In fact, new planners are one of the highlights of my year, every year. 


Day 18: Kids

I miss teaching. Mostly, I miss my babies. 

Since moving to Denver, I've started babysitting a lot to make up for that. I have met some of the most amazing families and have gotten to spend time with the coolest of cool kids. Tonight I got to spend a few hours with one of my favorites, Maddie. She is the most adorable, independent and happy almost-2-year-old. Today, I am so thankful for kids and for the joy that they create.  

Day 17: Sisters 

Last year in November, all three of my sisters worked it out with their schedules to come visit for the weekend of my birthday. We ate a lot of junk food, had some pictures taken by Jeff and Chelise Foster, and most importantly, snuggled.

A few days ago, my sisters officially booked another trip to come out for Sisters Weekend in late November. I am so blessed to have such sweet (and special) siblings.




Day 16: Prodigal Rings

Last week, the ring I have worn every minute of every day since 2006(ish) wandered off my finger. Now, this seemed strange since I never take it off (mystery of life?)  I was sitting at my desk one morning, and I looked down and noticed something was off. I had a tan line on my right ring-finger, but no ring. I looked high and low (obviously) and even recruited my roommates (although they were somewhat less concerned than I) and it was nowhere to be found.

This morning, on his way down the stairs, Andrew picked something up and casually asked, "Is this your ring?!" 


That's when I knew it was going to be a good day. Lord only knows how it got there, but either way, today I am thankful for "found" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment