Sunday, January 2, 2011

Right Now...

  • ...I am thinking about how much I love interesting people. And how lucky I am to have an abundancy of them in my life. I simply adore people who have a unique quality or talent or way of thinking about things, and love it even more when they're generous enough to teach me :) At the moment, I am thinking in particular about my friend, Allison (probably because I was just stalking her blog.)  Allison is suchhh a beautiful, genuine person. She has a wonderfully creative personality and mad-talent to match it! She is one of the most optimistic and thoughtful people I know, AND she's adventurous! There are big things in store for that girl, and I'm soooo lucky to be in on her life!
  • ...I just want to listen to Ingrid Michaelson and knit all day long.  No interruptions.  Is that antisocial?! :/
  • ...I can't believe the year is half over (and I've survived!) While the majority of this semester I've felt as though I had no clue what I was doing (and still do), my students have actually learned something!!! 3 of my students have already gained a year or more's progress in Reading! Hallelujah! I'm like a proud soccer mom just thinking about all the hard work and dedication they've put into achieving this!
  • ...I am nervous about next semester. For all the progress that some of my students have made, there are others that I need to do a better job for in the second half. I refuse to let them down. That said, ughhh...a lot of work lies ahead.
  • ...I absolutely adore a quote that Katelin posted...I'm not sure where it came from yet, but I still love it.

"God dwells within you...as you. God's not interested in watching a performance of how a spiritual person looks and behaves. The quiet girl who glides silently through the place with a gentle, ethereal smile...who is that person?"


  •  ...I am missing home a little a lot. Chocolate is helping.
  • ...I have made a New Year's Resolution for the first time in a lonnnng time: Take More Pictures.
Speaking of pictures...
Here are just a few of the fun happenings from this first semester...

1. Lauren rode with me to Colorado for the official move so she could visit her friend, Hannah. The first weekend in Colorado Springs, they came to visit--we went to church, had a mini-picnic on my new apartment's porch, and explored Garden of the Gods.
Beautiful, beautiful girls


2. I was blessed with an incredible roommate, Rebecca, and an equally spectacular neighbor, Emily. Between listening to each other vent about our days, encouraging and supporting each other, and becoming addicted to How I Met Your Mother, the three of us have become very close this year.
Hiking Mt. Cutler in Colorado Springs



3. Each of my parents came out to visit this fall--Dad came for a weekend in September, and Mom and my neighbor, Karen, came for a week in early October. It was so great to spend some time with them. While Dad was here, we played golf, went to Rockies and Broncos games, and set up mouse traps (yes, it's true.) While Mom and Karen were here, they rode the train to the top of Pike's Peak, went to Garden of the Gods, and did LOTS of helping out at my school!


4. In October, Emily, Rebecca and I went to Boulder for the Colorado/Georgia game. We stayed with Emily's sister, Olivia, at the Kappa house and had a great time remembering what it was like to be in college (officially known now as "the good ole days")


5. In mid-October, I went home for the weekend over Columbus Day ("the guy discovered the New World!") and got to have a banana margarita at Los Cabos with some of my favorite people in the entire world.
Life would be so much sweeter if I could be with these two every day.

Sister Lindsey and I

6. I got a tattoo. And will forever owe Emily for letting me squeeze her hand so tight that I'm surprised it didn't fall off!
Feeling a little nervous...


7. I spent a beautiful fall weekend in Durango with Allison. We did some of our favorite things--drank coffee, walked around downtown, snuggled, listened to great music, watched Iowa State almost beat Nebraska, took lots of pictures, swang on the swingset as we chatted about life, and took as much time as we wanted to get ready. Absolutely perfect.
What a cutie!

8. I turned 23 in November. While this idea doesn't necessarily thrill me, some great people helped me get through it ;) I got some very sweet cards in the mail, Tony sent flowers to my school, Rebecca decorated the apartment and made a cake, and Emily and Rebecca took me to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner!



9. In November, Brett came to visit! We visited the Royal Gorge, got lost in the middle-of-nowhere Colorado (thanks, Garmin), and discovered what Brett will say was the best restaurant he's ever eaten at (so dramatic) ;)

10. In December, we had a Teach For America holiday party--otherwise known as Prom. It was at an Irish pub in downtown Denver, and was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment