Thursday, February 11, 2010

Happy Place

This year over winter break, I got the exciting opportunity to go back to Seoul, South Korea for the second time. In the summer of 2008, I spent 3 months living in Seoul with Camp Adventure teaching summer camp and living with 20-some other college students on the Yongsan Army post. It was, to say the least, the most life-changing and eye-opening experience I've ever had. While things were very different this time around, one thing was the same: Seoul still has the ability to capture my heart in a huge way.


I'm not exactly sure why. I've never considered myself a "city girl," usually being more than ready to come home after spending a week in places like NYC, Washington D.C., and San Fran. But for some reason, Seoul is nearly as homey and comfortable as good ole Cedar Falls. The people are friendly, the food is delicious and the culture intriguing. Plus, the shopping is great! I'm not sure that I'll get the chance to live here (although it's a huge hope), but I have no doubt that I'll keep going back to Seoul either way.


I had a few different reasons for going back: I found a great price on a flight, my friend Kelly was living there, and I was in desperate need of an adventure :) It was a little scary going by myself, but that's what I liked about it. Kel was the most gracious hostess in the entire world and it was fun getting to spend some "me" time in a place that that I love. Here are a few pictures I thought I'd share!


During a traditional show at the Korea House, I was pulled on stage to dance and play instruments with the performers! 

This is what I had for lunch more days than I'd like to admit :)

This is the Inwangsan Shamanist village--it's a bunch of temples all up the side of a mountain. I climbed up to the top, and it started snowing...breathtaking! The pictures and my very-limited photography skills don't do it justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment